Overview of SEP during a declared disaster or other emergency
A special enrollment period (SEP) exists for individuals affected by a disaster or other emergency declared by a federal, state or local government entity who were unable to, and did not make an election during another valid election period. This SEP allows for enrollment and disenrollment elections. For more information, go to CY2021 MA Enrollment and Disenrollment Guidance
What you need to know about this SEP
The SEP information provided below is based on an executive order by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services on April 16, 2022. The SEP start and end dates are accurate as of the date of this communication.
|Disaster or emergency
|Incident start & end dates
|SEP start & end dates
|Public Health Emergency (Due to consequences of COVID-19 pandemic)
|4/16/2022 – 7/15/2022
|4/16/2022 – 9/30/2022
Individuals are eligible for this SEP if they:
- Reside, or resided at the start of the SEP eligibility period, described in this guidance, in an area for which a federal, state or local government entity has declared a disaster or other emergency. Or, they do not reside in an affected area, but rely on help making health care decisions from one or more individuals who reside in an affected area; and
- Were eligible for another election period at the time of the SEP eligibility period; and
- Did not make an election during that other valid election period due to the disaster or other emergency.
IMPORTANT: Remember, you cannot use this SEP opportunity to proactively market to beneficiaries. However, you can assist any clients who contact you about this SEP.
- If an individual wants to enroll and believes they may qualify for this SEP, you need to ask the beneficiary if they can show proof that they lived/live in an impacted area at the start of the incident period. If they do not have proof, ask them to verbally attest.
- When helping eligible clients enroll, please select the weather-related or major disaster option in the Reasons for Special Enrollment Period Eligibility section of the application.